Employees Provident Fund (EPF) is the contribution jointly made by an employer/s and an employee. EPF plays an important role in meeting the retirement goals of an employee. In addition, EPF, can also be used for various other purposes which include occasions like marriage, education, medical and home loan repayment services. EPF earlier were tax-free. However, in late 2017, tax-exemption on interest earned after an employee quit has been ruled out. Hence it is important for a person to check his/her PF balance to avoid taxes. EPFO has made it possible for people to check EPF balance on mobile through SMS.
Also, this service can be availed 24/7 through few simple steps. EPF Balance is the amount of money that is present in one’s EPF account. In the past, people had to face a difficult process of logging into their EPF account to check their balance. However, that feature can now be availed by a simple SMS.
Steps to Check EPF Balance on Mobile through SMS:
You can follow the steps mentioned below to find your EPF balance on mobile in a hassle free way. However, to avail benefits from this method, you need to register your mobile number with UAN. Once you register, please follow the steps mentioned below to check EPF Balance on your mobile phone.
- Send an SMS text message to 7738299899 using the mobile number registered with UAN.
- The contents of the SMS text message must follow the format ‘EPFOHO UAN ENG’. Here ENG refers the English language.
- Please note that you can change the language preference of the EPF account to any of 10 languages which include English, Hindi, Telugu, Punjabi, Gujarati, Marathi, Malayalam, Tamil, Kannada, and Bengali
- If you are not comfortable with English and wish to choose another language (let’s say Telugu), the format of the SMS text message will be ‘EPFOHO UAN TEL’
- You can find a list of different languages accepted by EPFO and their codes in the table below.
- You will then receive a message from EPFO with the following details
- Last contribution date
- Last contribution amount
- Total EPF Balance
Pre-Requisites to Check EPF Balance on Mobile through SMS
- This facility is only available if you who have a UAN Account Number.
- In addition, you must also have registered your mobile number while activating your UAN account number. This is to ensure that you receive updates on your registered mobile number. If your mobile number is not in the database, you cannot avail the SMS benefits.
- Check with your company to ensure that your Aadhaar Card, PAN Card, and Bank details have been digitally verified by your employer.
What should I do if I don’t get any message about EPF on my mobile number
You can follow the steps mentioned above if you are not receiving any EPF alerts on your mobile number. However, if the problem still persists, you can contact the organization you work at and ask if your Aadhar, PAN and Bank Details have been properly updated.
Alternatively, you can seek assistance from UAN/KYC officials at 1800118005 (toll-free) to clear any issues.
Check PF balance through UMANG App:
In addition to the steps mentioned above, you can also check your EPF balance through the UMANG App in a hassle free way. You can follow the steps below to check PF Balance on mobile using UMANG App.
- You can download the UMANG App both on an Android phone or an iOS device as the app is available across both the platforms.
- Once you download the app, navigate to ‘EPFO’ option present on the home screen.
- Under the EPFO option, select Employee Centric Services and enter your Universal Account Number.(UAN)
- Once you enter your UAN, you will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number. Enter the OTP and log in.
- Navigate to ‘View Passbook’ section. The app will now display the PF Account present in your balance.
Please make sure you download the official UMANG App. There are a lot of third-party apps on the Google Play Store. Failure to download the proper app might result in theft of data and account information.