FinTown Rating: 4/ 5
The IRCTC SBI Platinum Credit Card was introduced in partnership between IRCTC and State Bank of India (SBI) to exclusively target Indian Railways frequent travelers with special rewards and benefits. The card with a very low annual fee of INR 300 is an excellent card option for anyone who frequently travels on train. However, the APR at 40.2% is rather high and benefits beyond IRCTC are very low.
Air travel is still a very small fraction of the overall travel market in India. SBI hit the right note with their IRCTC SBI Platinum Credit Card by targeting train travelers. While many other cards are focused on airline benefits, this is the only credit card geared towards railways. By additionally having some benefits for other spend and fuel surcharge, this card offers more than just IRCTC benefits.
- Low annual fee of Rs. 300
- Only card that gives benefits for IRCTC (Indian Railways)
- 1.8% transaction waiver for IRCTC bookings
- Fuel surcharge waiver
- High Interest Rate APR at 40.2%
- Very limited rewards program beyond IRCTC transaction waiver with a rewards rate of less than 1%
IRCTC SBI Platinum Credit Card: Fees & Charges:
- Annual Fee: INR 300 + GST
- Joining Fee: INR 500 + GST
- Annual Percentage Rate (Annual Interest Rate): 40.20%
- Cash Advance Fee: 2.5% – 3% (Minimum of Rs. 300)
- Overseas Transaction Fee: 3.5%
- Late payment fee: INR 100 – 750 (depends on amount due)
How much money will I get in rewards and cashback?
By using the IRCTC SBI Platinum Credit Card, one can avail the following benefits:
- Welcome Bonus Gift:
- 350 Reward points on spending INR 500 within 45 days of card issue
- INR 100 cashback on first ATM withdrawl within 30 days of card issue
- IRCTC Benefit:
- Save 1.8% transaction charge on all your bookings with IRCTC, exclusive of GST
- Rewards Benefits
- (1 Reward Point = INR 1)
- Earn 10% Valueback as Reward points for bookings on AC1, AC2. AC3 and AC CC
- Earn 1 Reward point for INR 125 spent on non-fuel retail spend
- Fuel Surcharge Waiver
- 1% fuel surcharge on fuel transactions between INR 500 – 3000, exclusive of GST
Which other cards should you look at?
There is no comparable credit card in the market that provides savings and benefits on Indian Railways bookings. If you are looking for a low annual fee credit card that can give you rewards to book IRCTC Indian Railways tickets, you can look at the Axis Privilege Credit Card. Axis Privilege Credit Card offers vouchers on Yatra which cardholders can use to make Indian Railways ticket purchases. The Axis Privilege Credit Card has an annual fee of INR 1500 and it comes with a joining bonus of INR. 5000 Yatra voucher and a milestone Yatra voucher of INR 5000 for annual spend of over INR 2.5 Lakhs. Additionally, the card also gives 10 points on every INR 200 spent on the credit card and 2 lounge access passes every quarter.
The IRCTC SBI Platinum credit card should be a must-have for those who frequently travel on Indian Railways. With an annual fee of Rs. 300 and sign-up bonus worth INR 450, the IRCTC card is a minimum value card. Additionally, the 1.8% transaction fee waiver and reward points program give additional benefits. On the flip side, interest rate APR is high and the card must be avoided by those who want to rotate balance on their credit card.