The SBI Global International Debit Card is an entry-level debit card with decent reward benefits and transaction limits. The card can be availed by housewives, and students alike as long as they have a bank account in SBI. You can get the accessibility of using this card in over 6 lakh merchant outlets in India, in addition to over 30 million globally.
The card has a 0 (zero) issuance fee and an annual maintenance charge of Rs.175/- + GST. In addition, the card has a basic transaction limit capped at a maximum of Rs. 40,000/- for cash withdrawals at ATM and a maximum of Rs. 75,000/- for POS and online shopping. This puts the card at a slight disadvantage when compared to competitor cards which offer better transaction limits.
However, the card shines in its rewards and joining bonus section. You get 1 SBI Rewardz point (reward point) for every Rs. 200/- you spend on dining, shopping, filling fuel, travelling or online purchases. Additionally, the card also offers lucrative joining benefits 50 bonus Rewardz points for the first purchase, on the card done within one month prior to the date of issue. Also, you have the flexibility to double your reward points earned in a quarter. A more comprehensive reward structure and joining bonus is discussed below.
Eligibility Criteria to get an SBI Global International Debit Card:
There are no special requirements to obtain an SBI Global International Debit Card. The bank issues you the card if you consent issuance of an International Debit Card. However, you must not fall into Gold and Platinum categories to be eligible for the card.
FinTown’s Ratings: 3.5/5
|Joining Benefits and Insurance||3|
|Customer Service Rating||3|
- There is no issuance fee associated with the card with nominal annual maintenance charges of Rs.175 + taxes. This makes the card a decent option for you if you are looking for decent reward rates for a low annual fee.
- The card offers lucrative reward offers which cover a lot of categories which include dining, fuel, shopping, travel, and online purchases.
- The card offers 1 SBI Rewardz point for every Rs.200 you spend on the above-mentioned categories. Though this does not ensure instant cashback, you have the flexibility to pile up reward points by increased purchases. Moreover, the reward points you earn can be utilized to redeem exciting gifts and vouchers.
- The card offers a decent joining bonus, enabling you to earn good reward points with simple transactions. Moreover, the reward structure is flexible in this card which enables you to earn more reward points with increased transactions. Joining Bonus is explained in detail at the Benefits and Rewards Section.
- Though the card has strong points, it lacks in its transaction limits capped at Rs.40,000/- (forty thousand) for ATM cash withdrawals and Rs. 75,000/- (Seventy Five thousand). Though this will not affect all target groups, it might affect you if you are someone who need high transactional limits.
Pros and Cons – SBI Global International Debit Card
|Reasons to choose||Reasons to avoid|
|Decent Reward Structure||Lack of access to airport lounges and travel benefits|
|Lucrative Joining Bonus||Lack of Fuel Surcharge Waiver|
|Good Reach and International Acceptability||No dining and entertainment benefits|
|SMS facility||Lack of expert financial guidance|
|UnaivaIability of insurance programs|
|Lack of protection against the lost card and fraudulent transactions.|
Is SBI Global International the card for you?
The SBI Global International is the right card for you
- If you want to enjoy good joining bonus and a fair reward structure, this card acts as a good addition to you.
- Also, if you need high levels of accessibility and have an enhanced user experience.
- If you are not too keen on having high transactional limits.
- In case you love movies and want to avail discounts and cash-backs while booking tickets via third-party portals.
- Additionally, if you want to avail discounts on dining, fuel, shopping, travel, and online purchases.
When is SBI Global International Debit Card not the card for you
The SBI Global International Debit Card is not the right card for you
- if you are particular about availing various insurance policies which involve air accident, personal accidents, and hospitalization insurances.
- In addition, if you want protection against fraudulent transactions and loss of the card.
- Moreover, if you are a frequent domestic traveller and need better fuel surcharge waiver benefits.
- In case you need to transact huge amounts of money (above 1 lakh) in a single day without restricting yourself.
- Also, if you are in need of good financial assistance from experts on how to plan your wealth management.
Benefits/Rewards – SBI Global International Debit Card:
Decent Reward Structure:
The SBI Global International offers you a decent rewards structure. You are entitled to earn 1 reward points for every Rs.200 spent on your SBI Debit Card. In addition, you, being a member of the ‘SBI Rewardz Members’ can also earn extra reward points for purchasing through your SBI Global International Debit Card.
Additionally, when you use your debit card at a Max Get More outlet, you can earn additional reward points as high as 9 points for every Rs.200 spent on the card. Moreover, you will be entitled to special benefits and discounts at Max Get More partner outlets.
The reward points earned can be redeemed covering a wide range of products and services across various categories. These include electronics, apparel, home decor, jewellery, kitchen, and appliances. In terms of services, the reward points cover movie tickets, air tickets, mobile DTH/Recharge and many more.
You can login to the maxgetmore website to check your reward points and use it to get vouchers on merchandise, movies, recharge, flight, hotel and bus travels.
Also, you can shop and check the reward points associated with each item on SBIRewardz website to get lucrative deals.
Lucrative Joining Bonus:
- The SBI Global International Debit Card offers you with lucrative joining bonus deals. You can earn bonus points for the first three transactions done on your SBI Global International Debit Card. The conditions and bonus are as follows.
- You can earn 50 Bonus SBI Rewardz points for your first purchase transaction done on the SBI Global International Debit Card within completion of one calendar month of issuance.
- In addition, you can earn 50 additional bonus points on the second purchase within completion of one calendar month prior to the date of issuance.
- Also, you can earn 100 Bonus points on the third purchase transaction for the same duration mentioned above.
- This makes you effectively earn around 200 bonus points within the first month itself for three transactions.
- In addition to the above bonus offers, you can get 20 rewards points for carrying out 4 transactions worth Rs. 2000 in one calendar quarter.
Good Reach and International Acceptability:
State Bank Global International Debit Card offers users with accessibility to shop across over 6 lakh merchant outlets in India and over 30 million outlets worldwide. Moreover, SBI is one of the largest banks in India, with a significant number of ATM’s. Its wide reach and acceptability make your experience seamless. In addition, the card can be used to make international transactions.
The bank sends/provides an SMS every time your account is either credited or debited keeping you informed at all points of time. The instant SMS feature is applicable for all cash withdrawal, online transactions, and purchase transactions. This acts as a good feature if you want to stay safe and secure and take immediate precautions in case of a fraudulent transaction.
How to get the most out of SBI Global International Debit Card:
- You can use the card regularly for dining, fuel, shopping, travel, and online purchases. This will ensure that you earn reward points for every Rs.200 you spend. You can make use of the lucrative joining offers to earn additional reward points. Additionally, you can later redeem them for exciting vouchers.
- Moreover, you can also login to the maxgetmore website to check your reward points and use it to get vouchers on merchandise, movies, recharge, flight, hotel and bus travels.
- Furthermore, you can avail the SMS alert feature for staying better informed about the transaction taking place over your card.
How to apply for SBI Global International Debit Card:
You can apply for an SBI Global International Debit Card through the SBI Internet Banking Website.
You can follow the steps mentioned below to apply for an SBI Global International Debit Card.
- Once you enter the SBI Internet Banking website, enter your account details and login into your account.
- Once you enter, go the E-Services portal and click on ATM Card Services
- You will now find various options to either
- Block your ATM Card
- Change ATM Card Limit/Channel/Usage
- ATM Pin Generation
- New ATM Card Activation and
- Request ATM/Debit Card.
- Click on “Request ATM/Debit Card”. You will be redirected to a page which asks you to either login using OTP or your Profile Password.
- After login, enter your account details and select SBI Global Debit Card.
- Once the request is submitted, you will receive your card within 7-8 working days.
Payment and Fees:
|Annual Maintenance Charges||Rs. 150 + GST|
|Cash withdrawal limit at ATM’s (per day)||Minimum – Rs. 100/- (varies from ATM to ATM)
Maximum – Rs. 40,000/-
|POS Payment Charges||Minimum – No Such Limit
Maximum – Rs. 75000/-
|Card Replacement Charges||Rs.300 + GST|
|For transactions using State Bank Debit Cards on SBI’s POS terminals||0.75% of transaction value upto Rs.2000 or Rs.10 (whichever is higher)
1% transaction value for transactions above Rs.2000/-
|Transaction costs at State Bank ATM’s||Free|
|Other Bank ATM’s – Upto 5 transactions for calendar month||Free|
|Other Bank ATM’s – Beyond 5 transactions for calendar month||Financial Transaction – Rs.17
Non-Financial Transaction – Rs.6
The card offers good reward structure and joining bonus for its annual maintenance fee, making this a feasible option for you if you need good reward benefits at low annual fees. However, in terms of luxury benefits, the card falls short not offering any benefits in terms of airport lounges or entertainment.
If you are someone trying to experience good luxury benefits offered by premium cards, which include expert financial advice, this card falls short. Also, the card lacks in terms of insurance covers putting it at a disadvantage when compared to the covers offered by its competitors. In addition, the card does not offer fuel surcharge waiver which is another disadvantage.
Overall, if you are someone looking for a nominal fee card with moderate reward benefits on dining, movies, groceries and online shopping, and then want to redeem the points earned, then SBI Global International Debit Card is a good addition to your wallet.
Think this debit card is for you? APPLY NOW.
FinTown Advantage: We provide unbiased personal finance advice to help people make the best possible financial decisions. Our reviews and ratings of financial products are determined by customer financial wellbeing and not profiteering. Whether or not we make a penny, we do what is best for the customer. Our research team is made up of economists and market researchers who spend hundreds of hours researching and comparing products with the same mission in mind.