Permanent Account Number (PAN)
The primary purpose of a PAN or Permanent Account Number card is used to pay taxes. An individual needs their PAN card for withdrawing salary, opening/depositing/withdrawing from a bank account or for making purchases of goods and services.
When To Apply For Duplicate PAN Card?
A PAN card is really important, but on occasion, people end up losing their PAN card. It’s easier to obtain a duplicate PAN card than most other documents in India. An individual must apply for a duplicate PAN card when they’ve lost, damaged, misplaced, stolen or need to change information on their PAN card.
Conditions To Get A PAN Duplicate
One can apply for PAN Card duplicate under the following conditions:
- An individual, a group of individuals, a trust, an LLP, a HUF, etc. can apply for a PAN card duplicate.
- A person must file an FIR if they’ve lost their PAN card. An individual must then submit the FIR and old PAN number for a reprint/reissue of PAN.
How To Apply PAN Card Duplicate?
- Logging into the Income Tax Department’s website, Tax Information Network – National Securities Depository Limited (TIN-NSDL).
- Clicking on the ‘reprint PAN’ option on the homepage. The individual has to select the type of PAN they need a duplicate of.
- A person must fill in details relating to PAN, name, phone number, address, etc.
- A person must submit ID proof, date of birth documents and passport size photographs after filling the form. Additionally, a person must submit their old PAN in case of damage or change in information.
- Following this, an individual must make a payment towards the delivery of the PAN. The payment is INR 110 if the receiving address in within India. A person must pay INR 1,020 if the receiving address is outside India. A person can use DD, net banking or credit/debit transfer to make the payment.
- An individual will receive an acknowledgment slip after they send the supporting documents along with the payment. In addition, this 15-digit number can be used for all future communication and inquiries.
- It usually takes up to 2 weeks post to receive a PAN card post document-verification.
PAN Card Correction
For individuals that need PAN Card correction, they must follow the same process listed above, but must also include their old PAN Card, and a list of changes that need to be made to the new PAN card. The PAN card correction changes include the change of name, change of DOB, change of father’s name, etc. The PAN number doesn’t change. just corrections are made and a new card is issued.