PAN or Permanent Account Number has now become one of the most critical documents that every taxpaying citizen or resident of India must have. It is also necessary for Indian companies with offices in and outside of the country. PAN is not only required for Income Tax related purposes, but it also serves as a valid ID proof. Losing your PAN card can mean significant trouble. However, the solution is fairly simple. If you are wondering how to apply for lost PAN card, we are here to offer you the information you need.
What should you do after losing your PAN card?
Losing the PAN card can be nerve-wracking. However, stressing out over it won’t help. Instead of worrying about it, you can take some calculated measures to start the PAN card reissue process.
Whether you have lost or misplaced your PAN card or you suspect theft, you should first lodge a complaint to your nearest police station. Since the PAN card serves as an identification document, losing it can expose you to the risk of identity theft. That is why filing a formal complaint is crucial. You must also obtain an acknowledgment slip or copy of the First Information Report (FIR) from the police. You need to keep this document safe. This will prevent problems later if someone tries to use your lost pan card for fraudulent activities.
After filing the FIR, you need to visit the NSDL TIN Facilitation Centre or PAN card centre that is nearest to your location and ask for the form 49A. You should also carry a letter, addressed to the Income Tax Department, requesting for a new PAN card. Other than your application letter, you would also need an identity proof, one passport-sized photo (coloured), address proof and the copy of the acknowledgment or FIR.
Once you get the form, you need to fill it out carefully by following the given guidelines. Make sure that all the information you will provide on the form are accurate and all the spellings are correct. Inaccuracies will lead to cancellation of the form or rejection of your application. Once done, you need to stick the passport sized photo on the form and sign it.
You will need to pay a certain fee for the pan card reissue form and procedure. You can attach a cheque or DD with your form along with the required documents, and submit the form to the NSDL/PAN centre. Do not forget to write “Application for PAN change request” on the envelope before submitting it. You can also send your application to the PAN head office. The address is:
National Securities Depository Limited,
3rd Floor, Sapphire Chambers,
Near Baner Telephone Exchange, Baner,
Pune – 411045.
Once your duplicate PAN card is ready, it will be sent to your residential address.
Can you apply for a duplicate PAN card online after you lose the original?
TIN or Tax Information Network is a subsidiary of the Income Tax Department. It receives hundreds of PAN card lost applications every day. To speed up the process, the IT Department has introduced the PAN card reissue online procedure. To apply for a duplicate PAN card, all you have to do is visit the official website of UTITSL or TIN-NSDL, and click on the “Lost PAN/Request for a New PAN” option. You will then find the appropriate lost pan card application form on the website. You need to fill up and submit the form correctly to complete the process.
The IT department will then process your application and evaluate your form. If the authorities find all the information correct and all the supporting documents satisfactory, they will issue you a new PAN card, which will reach your residential address within a given time period. If you do not want to complete the whole pan card lost procedure online, you can download the application form from the official site and submit it to the nearest PAN centre. The TIN Facilitation or PAN centres are present across the country, and you can find several of these in your city.
How to get a reprinted PAN card online?
If you need your PAN card frequently for various transactions, losing it will cause you some major problems. Thankfully, the Government has placed various options for you to get a new PAN card. You can also get a reprinted PAN card online. If you do not know how to go about it, here are some quick tips:
- Visit the official site of TIN-NSDL and go to the section for online PAN card application.
- Once you are in this section, you need to choose the option for “reprint PAN card.” This option will only be valid if you lost or misplaced your PAN card or if your PAN card got stolen.
- Once you are in the aforementioned section, you will find the option for online application for PAN card correction or changes.
- After you click on that option, you will be redirected to a page that has all the required information regarding the process as well as the guidelines that you need to follow when applying.
- After reading the guidelines carefully, you will get to know what type of form you need to fill out and submit. You may need to choose either form 49A or form 49AA depending on whether you are an individual, HUF, company, Indian citizen or Indian resident.
The final steps
- You will then have to fill up the form by providing information such as name, lost PAN number, address, phone number, email address and so on. Do not forget to provide supporting documents such as ID proof, address proof and a passport sized photo.
- You can either submit your application online or mail it by Post to the NSDL office.
- You must pay a fee of Rs 107 if you live in India and Rs 989 if you live outside of India. Payment modes include debit card, credit card or NEFT.
- After you pay the fee, you will receive an acknowledgment number, which you can later use to check your PAN card application status.
After you submit the form, your application will be processed. Once your new PAN card is issued, you will receive it by post to your residential address.