PAN Card Correction Method – How to Change Name and Address on Your PAN Card?

Rinku BhattacharjeePANLeave a Comment

PAN Card Correction

PAN or Permanent Account Number is crucial to Indian citizens, residents, and companies. The PAN card is required when filing Income Tax, and it also serves as an identity proof. If your PAN card contains some wrong information or error, you need to get it fixed immediately. You can also change the name and address you have put on your PAN card. The PAN card correction method is fairly easy. However, you need to follow specific guidelines to do it right. This process is also applicable if you have accidentally damaged your card and need a copy of it. Let us discuss how you should go about it.

PAN card correction online – how to make changes or modifications?

Incorrect spelling of the name, inaccurate address, and wrong date of birth are some of the common errors that you might see on your PAN card. It is imperative to fix these errors as quickly as you can. You may also need to make modifications to PAN card details if you have changed your name/surname, address or contact details. In any case, if you need to make changes in your PAN card information, you can do it online. You may use either the NSDL website or the UTIITSL website for this. Here, we will discuss how to change PAN details using UTIITSL website.

  • Visit, and you will see the option for requesting modifications or changes in your PAN card details.
  • Fill up the form carefully as per the guidelines
  • After completing the PAN card correction form, you need to hit “submit.”
  • You will need to pay a fee for this process. Once you pay the fee, you will receive an acknowledgment number.
  • You need to keep this number safe as it will allow you to check your PAN card status by name and date of birth later on.

To check PAN card correction status, you need to visit and log in with the acknowledgment number. This will show the status of your application.

What documents do you need to provide along with your PAN correction form?

Whether you are applying for a duplicate PAN card or requesting modifications, you need to provide some documents with your PAN application. The documents will vary depending on your nationality and whether you are an individual, entity, a group of a firm. Below are some of the common examples.

Indian individuals and HUFs need to provide:

  • ID proof such as driving license, Aadhaar card or passport.
  • Address proof such as domicile certificate, utility bill or driving license.
  • Proof of DOB (date of birth) such as driving license, voter ID card or passport.

Individuals also need to provide two passport size photographs with the application.

Partnerships/companies/firms that have an office in India need to provide:

  • Copy of Government-issued registration certificate as identity proof.
  • Partnership deed copy (in the case of partnerships).

Partnerships/companies/firms that have an office only outside of India need to provide:

  • Copy of registration certificate, issued by a competent authority in their country and attested by the Indian High Commission or Indian Embassy.
  • Copy of registration certificate, issued or approved by the Indian Government.

Foreign citizens, who are living in India or abroad, need to provide:

  • Identity proof and address proof
  • Copy of Persons of Indian Origin card
  • Citizenship identification number
  • Passport

Other foreign entities that are not individuals need to provide:

  • Identity and address proof.
  • Copy of registration certificate, issued by the applicant’s country and attested by the Indian Embassy or Indian High Commission.
  • Indian Government-approved copy of registration certificate.

If you are requesting correction or change in PAN card details such as DOB, name or father’s name, you need to provide some additional supporting documents.

If you are changing your name after marriage, you need to provide:

  • Wedding invitation card
  • Marriage certificate
  • Copy of passport displaying your spouse’s name
  • A gazette publication supporting your name change

Companies, in the case of PAN card name change, need to provide copy Registration Certificate. Partnership firms have to provide a copy of the revised deed of partnership. LLPs or limited liability partnerships need to provide ROC for the name change.

Learn how To track NSDL and UTI PAN Card Status 

What is the correct way to go about PAN card name change after marriage?

Most women in India take their husband’s surname after marriage. If you applied for the PAN card before marriage, it is obvious that it contains your maiden name. However, if you have changed your name after marriage, you need to update the same in your PAN card details as well. Here’s how you can do it:

PAN card name change form:

You can apply for the PAN correction of your name through the website of NSDL or UTIITSL.  You need to fill up the appropriate form with all the correct details and submit the same once complete.

Fees you need pay:

When submitting your request for PAN card name change online, you need to pay a fee of INR 110 if your contact address is within India. On the other hand, if your contact address is outside of India, you will need to provide a fee of INR 1,020. You can make the payment using your debit card, credit card or Demand Draft.

Acknowledgment form:

Once you pay the fee, you will receive an acknowledgment receipt. You need to send the signed acknowledgment document with your passport-sized signed photograph and other relevant documents to the correct NSDL address by post. On the envelope, you need to write “Application for Pan Change Request – N- Acknowledgment Number.”

Take note of the fact that you need to mail the acknowledgment form to the NSDL address within 15 days of completing the PAN card name change after marriage process online. Once your request gets processed and your new PAN card gets issued, you will receive the modified PAN card via Post at the address you have given.

How to change or update the address on the PAN card?

You can also change or update the address on your PAN card. The process is similar to changing the name. You need to visit the official NSDL website and fill up the form for PAN card address change. Once done, you need to submit the form with the required documents. Then you have to pay the fee and receive your acknowledgment form. Finally, you have to send the acknowledgment form with your signed passport-sized photo and the relevant details to the NSDL address. You will receive the new PAN card via POST.



Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published.