Step By Step Guide To eFile Your Income Tax Return Online
- Log on to the eFiling portal and click on income tax returns.
- Taxpayers must register on the portal before e-Filing income tax. For registering, a taxpayer must have PAN, Aadhaar, and their mobile with them.
- Registered taxpayers can click on login and enter their password for the same.
- To file ITR, click on e-File. A taxpayer must then enter PAN number, Assessment year, ITR form name and submission mode.
- Select the ITR form.
- ITR 1 – If the taxpayer is a salaried person, pensioner, earns income from property and other sources, etc.
- ITR 2 – If the taxpayer earns through capital gains.
- The ITR 3 – If the taxpayer is a professional or business owner.
- ITR 4 – If the taxpayer has opted for the presumptive income scheme/
- ITR 5 – If the taxpayer is a firm, LLP, BOP, cooperative societies, etc.
- Select how you want to fill the form. Then you can download, fill up and upload the form or you can e-file the form online.
- A taxpayer must then select an option to verify their income tax returns online. The options are Aadhaar OTP, EVC and I don’t want to verify option. Thus, Aadhaar OTP is the fastest in this case.
- Next, click on the submit tab. You must then enter Income details, tax details, taxes paid and verification, 80G and general information. You will need PAN, TDS certificates, investments, interest statements and form 16 (provided by employer/HR). form 26AS.
- Next, you have the option of saving draft or clicking on submit. You will receive an acknowledgment number after submitting the form using a digital signature.
- If an applicant files without a digital signature then ITR V is sent to their email address. ITR V must be verified electronically or signed manually and emailed to the processing center (within 120 days).
Previous Income Tax Returns/Check Income Tax Returns
The taxpayer will have access to previous year’s records and can choose if ITR (Income Tax Return) has been filed or ITR has not been filed.
- If a taxpayer files ITR, then the mode of filing needs to be entered. The modes are paper and e-filing. If the mode is e-filing, then the details are automatically online. If the applicant’s mode is paper, then the applicant requires the acknowledgment number and date of filing.
- Suppose a taxpayer does not file ITR, then the applicant must select either
- return under preparation,
- closed business,
- no taxable income,
- others. If a taxpayer selects others, then they must submit remarks in the remarks column as well.